Bones Buried in the Dirt
This novel in short story form was published by River Otter Press on January 1, 2013. It is currently available at Amazon.com, Tattered Cover, and Melancholy Poet Books. Here is the Facebook page and the Goodreads page.
The individual pieces together tell an overall story in the voice of a young boy named Peter. Ranging from Peter at age four to Peter at age twelve, the stories focus on the sort of moments in childhood that get buried in the mind but never fully get absorbed, the moments that constantly come to mind later in life and shape what sort of individual people become. Unlike most coming of age tales, the stories never bring Peter forward into adulthood. Rather, though the stories are often reflective, the distance of the reflection is short. Thus, instead of a story about how an adult became who they are, the result is a story of the child Peter becoming- a sort of sonar picture of the individual Peter will become. The collection is therefore forward looking instead of backward, like the difference between viewing a sunrise compared to a sunset.
Please reach me through my contact page if you would like to obtain a review copy for a journal review, book blog review, or such (of if you are an independent reviewer who would like to place a review of Bones Buried in the Dirt in a journal, book review blog, or such).
Ben Tanzer interviews me for Episode 70 of "This Podcast Will Change Your Life."
Tiffany Drew's review of Bones Buried in the Dirt over at Book Cover Justice.
Valentina Cano's review of Bones Buried in the Dirt at Carabosse's Library.
Michael J. Seidlinger's review of Bones Buried in the Dirt at InDigest.
Hollie Skerry's review of Bones Buried in the Dirt at Music, Books and Tea.
Chris Blocker's review of Bones Buried in the Dirt at Literary Snob.
Kimberly Campbell Moore's review of Bones Buried in the Dirt over at The Lit Pub.
Karen Dahood's review of "Bones Buried in the Dirt" over at BookPleasures.
Check out the advance praise for Bones Buried in the Dirt.
Here is a clip of me reading one of the stories, "Burden of a Little Brother," at the Summer Issue reading for The Lincoln Underground Literary Magazine at the Crescent Moon coffee shop in Lincoln on August 27, 2012.
Here is a clip of me reading another of the stories, “The Virgin Mary Tree,” at a Grey Sparrow event at The Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis back in 2011.
Video of the book tour.
Previously published stories included this collection:
- "The War" published in the Winter 2012 issue of The Writing Disorder. Also published in The Writing Disorder presents The Best Fiction and Nonfiction of 2012.
- "Burden of a Little Brother" published in the Summer Issue of The Lincoln Underground.
- "But Nothing Was Better," published in the July 2011 issue of Cannoli Pie.
- "Stranger," published in issue #2 of C4: The Chamber Four Lit Mag.
- "Training," published in the Volume 228, January 2012 issue of Children, Churches and Daddies. Subsequently included in the collection book Cultural Touchstone.
- "The Virgin Mary Tree," published (live 5/20/2011) in the spring 2011 online edition of Grey Sparrow, also published in the Fall 2011, issue 8, print edition.
- "The Pipe" published in the Summer 2007 issue of Fine Lines.